Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Reflecting on my blog

The last entry I wrote was about my work here. I see this blog as part of my work. I see this blog as a way for me to reflect on what I am doing while I am doing it. Sometimes it is hard to do that. When you are in the forest you cannot accurately say how big it is. Yet you can see the tree that is standing just in front of you in a way that you could not if you were in a helicopter looking down on the green expanse below. I believe that both viewpoints are necessary, although they cannot be actively experienced at the same time. Hopefully I can take what I learn in the forest with me into the helicopter or vice verse.

That is neither here nor there. My work here in the office has been taken over by work on the Red Book and Federation News. When I first arrived I felt like I had very little idea about what exactly I was supposed to do. Now I know what I am expected to do, but it seems almost overwhelming. Almost I say, because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are going to have both these documents done in the next two weeks! I am working on making sure that they are done well. Incredible. My work here will contribute to the success of the Federation. It is a great feeling.

As for my life outside of work I am also having a good time. I met up with an old friend last night. It was so nice to see someone that I hadn't see in a year. It was also nice to have a night where I just hung out and spoke in French. I really miss just living in French. I live in English here. I speak French occasionally, I even might get complimented on it, but my life (my work, my friends my meaningful relationships etc.) is in English. I suppose that is what I expected moving here. France is such an interesting place. My friend is currently looking for a job. In France, if you are looking for a job you get money from the State. They understand that you need to live. He pointed out, though, that since the you get so much money from the State the employer pays a hefty tax to the government on every employee. Therefore it is harder to get a job because the Employer doesn't want to hire someone who will not be worth the money they have to pay both to the employee and the government. I think it's worth it - but then again I am working for very little. I guess you could even say that I am paying to work here. Fundraising. It's a constant thought in the back of my head. Constant. At least that means I
am praying about it a lot.

I have to get back to my many documents for the Red Book and Federation News! I will put up some pictures of my Wine Tasting from last Saturday, assuming I get some from my friends, and of my brilliant soccer game on Sunday. I am still sore from that game. (I also learned the word for sore last night!)

2 comments:

  1. I am amazed that you seem to blog every day. I can usually only find the time (and/or stuff to write about) once a week....!

    Your commitment to this blog is pretty incredible.

    Do you think you'll stay in France for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I'll be happy to introduce you to people in teh centre who speak French!
    And your blog is great

    ReplyDelete