Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Presentations and moving

This week I have had two presentations to two different groups. We met with a group of theology students from Germany on Monday. Today we met with a group of people from the National Council of Churches of Denmark. Since my direct supervisor, Christine, has been sick this week, she could not be at either meeting. However, another colleague took her place.

Yesterday, April 1st, I met with the Danish people before our presentation to participate in the world trade game. At the end of this game, before the official WSCF presentation a woman from the WCC came in to make an announcement. She announced that this group had so impressed the General Secretary of the YWCA that she called up her personal friend, Kofi Anan, to see if he wanted to have coffee with this very impressive group. The WCC staff woman then went on to say that Kofi would love to have coffee with them at the Intercontinental Hotel later that afternoon, if they were amenable. I thought, "Wow! I wish I were Danish so I could meet Kofi Anan." Then of course we all realized it was just a "poisson d'avril" as they say in French. Or April Fool's joke!

Back to more important matters, I took this job because I firmly believe in the vision of the WSCF:

The WSCF is a global community of Student Christian Movements committed to dialogue, ecumenism, social justice and peace. Our mission is to empower students in critical thinking and constructive transformation of our world by being a space for prayer and celebration, theological reflection, study and analysis of social and cultural processes and solidarity and action across boundaries of culture, gender and ethnicity. Through the work of the Holy Spirit, the WSCF is called to be a prophetic witness in church and society. This vision is nurtured by a radical hope for God's reign in history.

However, I am still detached from the practical work of the WSCF. I suppose that is normal, at any job there is a learning curve. I am also seeing ways that I can help to improve communication, in general, in the office. Perhaps things will be different when the General Secretary returns on Monday. It is strange that everyone talks about him and how wonderful he is - but I have never met him. I am sitting at his desk right now. I was staying at his apartment. I have seen pictures of him, but I still do not know him or his family. I am looking forward to meeting them very soon!

Yesterday I moved into Emma's apartment. She has a lovely studio near to work. I am sleeping on her floor (well really an air mattress...). She has been kind enough to allow me to stay there for a few days before I move into the Foyer early next week. She is such a lovely woman. She is working with the WCC and is from Australia. I am very grateful to her.

Just to be clear, I have only been in Switzerland for 15 days! I thought it was three weeks yesterday, but it was only two weeks! Wow! I feel like I have been here MUCH longer than that.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a good mix of nationalities all around. did the subject of those danish cartoons and the muslim reaction to them a few months back come up ? (i.e. where muslims were rioting because of the 'bomb in the turban' newspaper cartoon reprinting as a form of freedom of speech)

    ReplyDelete