Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Easter is coming

It is Wednesday in Holy Week. We have three days left. Then Easter Sunday. I am planning to go to Church tonight, tomorrow night, Friday during the day, Saturday night and Sunday morning. That is a lot of Church. I might not go Sunday morning - although we are doing a sunrise service at Emmanuel, and I do like sunrise services. Easter is the most important part of the Church year. It is the time when we celebrate the reason that we are Christian. We remember Christ's death and Christ's resurrection. It is his resurrection that makes our lives possible. I remember a sermon I heard at Taize, where the brother talked about our daily resurrection as followers of Christ. If I remember correctly, he was telling us that every day we have the chance to start new. We have the chance to not be bound by what we've done. We have the opportunity to not be the person that we were. Instead we become new people. People of possibility. People of hope. People of change. This is the resurrection of Christ and of Christ in us. What we've done in the past does not hinder us. Christ's redemption gives us all the chance to truly live because we do have to be guilty about what we've done. Instead we only have to live forward. Every day, every moment, each one of us is offered this opportunity through our own resurrection and through the resurrection and life that Christ lived.

I glad that I am here in Geneva. I think that I am beginning to see, more vividly, the way that these words are true in my own life and in the life of others. I hear stories about what people are doing around the world and it inspires me. Today for instance, I met a Senior Friend (former student member of WSCF) from India. He is working in Delhi. He was telling us about some of the work he is doing around India to help people provide basic needs after disasters have struck. It is amazing for me to hear his story and see that his time during University with WSCF helped him. I am not sure why or for how long he is in Geneva, but he made it a priority to stop by our offices. Meeting him helps me to see the life that Christ is bringing all around the world.

Holy Week. It's a week of remembrance and change. It is a week of sorrow and hope. It is a week in a busy year. It is a week in a busy life. I am glad that I have this moment to stop and pause and remember why I believe what I believe.

I am also settling into my new foyer rather well. I have been looking, through internet sites, for more housing options. However, I think I am going to stay in the foyer for a little while and see how I feel after that. I am going to do some shopping today to make it more like home.

1 comment:

  1. everyone is different, but for me i find that i feel more comfortable in a place the longer i am there. i start to enjoy small things that didn't initially seem like they were a part of the place - for example, the way a door creaks slightly, or the way a particular window stop becomes stuck. its as if the location exhibits a personality, and the more i am there the more i like the personality. things become defined and their place in the world seems to emerge before my eyes.

    ReplyDelete