Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ecumenical Learning Session

Every Tuesday the interns gather for "Ecumenical Learning." It is an hour and a half where we share with each other or hear from an expert on a certain topic. Since I have been here we have talked about HIV/AIDS, different styles of worship, and, today, our own traditions. The session today was led by a fellow intern. She created a worksheet that asked basic information about your tradition - What is the role of the Eucharist? What is ministry? What is the role of the Bible? What is the Mission of the Church? How was the Church founded? . However, the twist was that once we wrote our own tradition on the top of the page we were asked to pass the page to the right. Then we had to fill in about someone else's tradition. It was fascinating. Emma passed me "The Uniting Church in Australia" Even though I have spent much time with Emma, I knew nothing about her Church. I had no idea what its services are like; I did not know what the ministry looked like; I did not know how it was founded. It was humbling for me to have to sit and not be able to write. I have always been the kind of person that knows things. Even if I am in a situation where I may not be an expert, I generally feel like I can contribute. I felt very foolish today. I like to think that I know a lot about Church - I have spent some time working within my Church and I talk about Church all the time. I live and breathe "Church" - but I couldn't answer a single question about her Church. I need to rethink what I know. It was also interesting to hear about my Church from a person outside of it. I am Episcopalian (although I am not confirmed - so I am not technically Episcopalian). The Episcopal Church is very well known and is part of the even larger Anglican Communion. It was humbling to be in a place where I could not answer the questions.

I also loved learning about my friends' traditions; we all have very different beliefs, but we are together in our Christianity. Everyone has different ideas about the Bible and the role of the Eucharist and what ministry looks like. Each Church has a hierachy, or lack thereof. Each Church has certain beliefs about who can take Communion. Some Churches give communion to all - some only to confessed believers in Christ - others only to confirmed members of their own tradition. Some believe it is simply a symbol of Christ's death and resurrection, others that the bread and wine literally become Christ's body and blood. Others see the Eucharistic Celebration as The Church. Yet, we all are together. We are the Body of Christ. What does this mean?

What does it mean for us to say we are "ecumenical"? What does it mean for us to say that we are all Christian? What is the Christian Faith in this setting? What is unity? I have much to think about tonight. What does it really mean for us to say we profess the same faith, when our traditions are so different? Today was truly and Ecumenical Learning session.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for your summary! I couldn't be at the training and so I am really glad that I can read your reflections. Roger

    ReplyDelete