Friday, April 17, 2009

Fundraising Letter

April 14, 2009
Dear Loved Ones,

During Holy Week we remember Christ’s death and resurrection- resurrection that makes possible our new life in Christ. Easter is a chance for new beginnings. I am also beginning a new part of my life. I began a year as the Communications Intern with the World Student Christian Federation (WSCF) in mid March. WSCF is also beginning a new phase of truly global integration making sure that this generation of students’ voices from all parts of the world are heard. I am excited to be a part of WSCF as it brings together Christian students from around the world to work towards peace in their own countries as well as globally. I have included a pamphlet for you that can tell you more about WSCF. I have begun a blog to share all of my joys and challenges and adventures and hopes and ideas with the world. www.maryanningeneva.blogspot.com. Please check that as I try to update it almost every day.

My work is a cornucopia of different jobs: editing journals, advocacy and networking within the WSCF as well as with other ecumenical organizations. This wide variety of work is both rewarding and challenging. The rewarding part is being an integral part of the office here. I see how my work is helping to pull together the work that everyone in the office doing . We are working together so that our vision and hope for God’s Kingdom here on Earth is brought closer to fruition. I am inspired by the work that I see being done and that I am helping to accomplish here. I am challenged because I have to take the initiative to make sure that I am using my time and talents resourcefully. I am helping to bring out my own potential as well as those with whom I work. I must work harder and in a more creative manner than I ever have before.

I see my year here as a preparation for my life back in the United States. I know that working with the WSCF will help me to discern the next steps in my vocational calling. Although I only lived in Austin a few months before moving here, I really began to feel at home there. When I return to Austin I am looking forward to again being active at St. James’ Episcopal Church. During this year I will gain experience that will help me discern my calling with clarity.

Thank you for the many ways that you have and continue to support me. I am very grateful because your donations and prayers have gotten me this far. In order for me to continue my work for an entire year I will need $23,500. Through monetary donations and pledges I have raised just over $6,500! I also received support in the form of an airline ticket as well as a computer and clothing! However, I am still very far from raising enough money to support me for an entire year. I am challenged to pray harder and work harder so that I can make sure I raise the remaining $17,000. The WSCF has promised that I will be able to stay through June. At that time we will re-evaluate our financial situation, if I do not have the majority of my money raised or pledged than I will look at going back to the United States before March.

Please send donations to the WSCF Trustees in New York. Their address is :
Trustees of the WSCF
c/o Rev. Jorge Domingues,
475 Riverside Drive, Room 1340,
New York, NY 10115

Please mark all checks with “Communications Intern.” They will be tax deductible. Please let me know if you think of anyone, or any organization, that would be interested in supporting this work.

I am excited to be a part of the WSCF. Even though I have only been here a few weeks, I know that the work that I am doing here is important in my life and in my vocational discernment. I am humbled to think that my work will also bless the lives of students around the world. I wish you all a Happy Easter!

In Christ’s Peace and Grace,



Maryann Philbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment