Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Work and Rest

I just got back on Monday night, then Tuesday morning I came into work. I have not had much time to rest.

I realize that when I post on this blog people actually read it. I know I've mentioned this before. Once again I failed to post and, not surprisingly, my total readership has gone down. Basically, the principle is that if you build it they will come. (I feel like I'm not the first to have said that... ;)

I think this relates to my spiritual life. I keep on expecting God to tell me what I should do next. Should I go back to Texas? Should I stay here in Geneva? Should I go and study Spanish? Should I go somewhere else? Should I go and live at Taize forever? I am expecting the answer to fall into my lap. I am forgetting the key part of a conversation, listening. Talking is an important part of any dialogue, but equally important is listening. Listening to see if God is telling me something that I am perhaps not willing to hear. Listening to see if God is telling me something that I want to hear. Listening to see what God is telling me. Listening. It is a key part that I am forgetting sometimes. I am so busy trying to hear and find out what path God is laying for me that I forget to listen. I forget to just sit and be. Just sit. My blogs are related to this because if I simply posted more than more people would come and read them. If I simply spent more time listening then perhaps I could begin to hear.

As Jesus often says, "Those who have ears to hear, listen."

I suppose I am looking for a balance between work and rest.

1 comment:

  1. people work and rest in different ways. for some people, sitting still feels like work. for others, movement feels like work. for a few people work and rest are the same thing. Trying to define "work" and "rest" from your point of view might generate some ideas. I.e. is work defined by what you expend (i.e. energy spent) or by what you achieve (i.e. influence on others). i think the way you define these terms may affect your desired proportion of balance between them.

    ReplyDelete