Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Being home sick

I wrote yesterday on my facebook wall that I was "home sick." When I typed that phrase I meant to update people about my physical whereabouts. I was at my home here in Geneva and I was sick. I spent the day in bed trying to get better so that I could come to work today. I did not mean that phrase in the metaphorical sense where I am mentally anguished because I am missing my home (Austin, TX). However, this day of being "home sick" did coincide with a friend of mine from Austin visiting Geneva. He came to Geneva on business and since he only had a meeting this afternoon we had dinner last night and we will have dinner again tonight.

I am home sick. I desperately want to go home. I will go home, just not yet. When I go home I will be ready. More than ready. Talking to my friend reminded me of all the good things, and all the not so good things that I have in Austin. It is this combination of great friends, an amazing church, complicated relationships and family that make Austin home. If everything were great it would not be "home." If everything were horrible I would not want to go back to that place. However, knowing that things are complicated but that I have a place there makes me even more anxious and excited to be heading back.

I have not ever experienced this before. I have been moving and leaving one life behind for a new adventure. I never had a plan to go back "home" after an adventure ended. I always thought I would move on to the next adventure - I'd always find the next exciting phase in my life. Now I have a home, I have found a place that I want to return to - this is all a new experience for me.

Yesterday I was home sick.

1 comment:

  1. i think everyone needs a home. at least a "home base" from which they can wander, and to which they eventually return. its like our stay here on earth. one day, we'll go back. so for you, austin is like your hotel during your stay on this planet. (if i understand your blog correctly).

    ReplyDelete