Monday, September 7, 2009

A Beautiful Weekend



This weekend I went to Zermatt. Zermatt is a small town in the German part of Switzerland where one gets the best view of the Matterhorn. It's the Toblerone Mountain.

The whole trip was incredible. We left about 8 am and took the train for a little more than three hours. We arrived around 12. Lunch - traditional Swiss Rosti. Then off to the mountain. We took the Cable Car up. It took about 50 minutes to get all the way to the top. We were not actually climbing the Matterhorn, but the smaller Matterhorn. That is where you get the best view of said mountain.

Even as we were approaching it was magnificent. I have never seen that much snow at one time. I thought the glacier was the side of the mountain. Seeing something that big was almost overwhelming - but it was more awe inspiring.

The top of the Mountain was incredible. All around me was a sea of mountains. Every way I looked I saw the peaks, covered in snow. There was nothing but beautiful mountains. The mountains are rugged and unforgiving. They are majestic and awe inspiring. It made me realize just how little and insignificant our short lives are. It made me think about the geological time that these mountains represent. It made me simply look and see the magnificent creation in front of me.

Switzerland is a beautiful country. I am glad that I live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment