Monday, September 28, 2009

Update from Maryann Philbrook

Here is the letter that you might receive in your in-box or in your real mail box in a few weeks!

Dear Loved Ones,

It’s starting to get colder here in Geneva. I’ve pulled out my boots and I can no longer go and sit by the lake in the afternoon sun. However, I am happy that I will get to see the autumn turn to winter here in Geneva. I am going to continue my work with the World Student Christian Federation (WSCF) until the end of December.

I am working on two projects, one with WSCF and one with the World Council of Churches (WCC). First, I am finishing the centennial edition of Student World, our academic journal. This journal will include a collection of articles published from 1908-2008. I have learned about the history of the Ecumenical Movement, WSCF and the world as I have gone through these pages to find the best articles. The task is large, but I am proud of the book that WSCF will publish. Second, I am helping design a website called “Cries of Anguish, Stories of Hope”. We are working with the WCC to create a Lenten study on overcoming violence against women. This site will have videos of people who have overcome violence. We will also have Bible studies, liturgical resources and an interactive blog. These two projects are taking most of my time, but I am staying busy doing fundraising and working on the WSCF website.

My personal, professional and spiritual growth has been more than I expected. When I arrived in Geneva I did not think I could be a “Communications” Intern. Now I am a key part of both of the projects I mentioned above. I have learned, personally, that I can make any situation work. I came to Geneva not knowing how long I would stay here or what exactly I’d be doing, yet I have stayed here for six months and I have three more exciting months to go. Spiritually I have seen my desire to study the Bible and understand the Word of God grow this year. That is why when I return to the U.S. I will apply for seminary. I am looking forward to doing this in Austin, TX at St. James’ Episcopal Church.

I was responsible for raising the majority of the funds for my position and I was not sure how far my funding would stretch. Since my last letter WSCF has reached an agreement with the WCC and they will continue supporting me for the rest of the year. Although this covers my upcoming costs, the money that WSCF spent on me until now has not been covered. I still need support so that my time here will not be a burden on WSCF financially, especially since now is a period of financial challenge for WSCF.

Thank you for all the ways that you support my mission here with the World Student Christian Federation. Please continue to pray for my work and the work of WSCF. Please pray that everything will come together for our website and that we will change the lives of women around the world by sharing the stories of a few. I also still need donations to offset the cost of my internship here. You can give tax-deductible donations to the New York Trustees. Their address is:

Trustees of the WSCF

c/o Rev. Jorge Domingues

475 Riverside Drive, Room 1340

New York, NY 10115

Thank you once again. I appreciate all the ways that you’ve been involved in my work. I will be thinking of you as the winter settles in here in Geneva.

In Grace and Peace,

Maryann Philbrook

P.S. If you would like to receive the publications that WSCF produces, please let me know. I have already sent you a Federation News and a copy of The Red Book. However, we also have the Student World and a new edition of Fed News coming out. If you would like to receive these, please email me or write us here. Don’t forget about my blog: www.maryanningeneva.blogspot.com and email me anytime: aryannphilbrook@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maryann

    I am constantly amazed at the honesty and openness of this blog. Thank you for feeling able to share of yourself.

    ReplyDelete