Sunday, September 13, 2009

a quiet weekend full of good friends and good times

I had a rather rough week. It was a week of many decisions and many changes. I have t about it - but I want to have the post edited before I put it out there for the entire world to read. (Usually I just sort of type and go, which leads to typos, but also to a very honest, but also a very temporal picture of my feelings).

So I will post about my long weekend instead. This weekend I did not think about work. I did not do any work. I just relaxed. Thursday was a holiday here in Geneva (the Geneva fast). I also took Friday off. That means that as of today, Sunday, I have had four days to not work. I thought I might go to Lugano (the Italian part of Switzerland). Then I got less ambitious and thought maybe I'd go to Bern (in the German part of Switzerland). Then I got even less ambitious and decided to just stay in Geneva. This meant I spent most of the weekend in bed with my computer watching Doctor Who. (Secretly I am a big science fiction nerd and Doctor who is one of my favorites). I also slept a lot. The earliest I woke up was on Friday when I got out of bed by 9, but that was only temporary, I crawled back under the covers at 10:30.

However, I also went out with friends most nights this week and I realized just how happy I am here in Geneva. I truly love my friends that I've made here. They are all so unique and interesting. We are all foreigners passing a moment of our lives here in Geneva. We have nothing in common except for this fact - yet somehow that is enough for us to form these lasting friendships. I am confident that many of these friends will be friends for life. (The people I met while studying abroad or living in Paris or taking a winter class in South Africa are of the same caliber). It is interesting how having to decide to stay in a place or leave a place makes you grateful for you what you have.

I am very excited about going back to Texas eventually, but I am glad it is not yet. Also, this moment cannot and will not last forever. We are all travelers here - none of us are planning to stay in Geneva forever. To try and take this moment and make it last longer would be foolish and ruin it - but to just enjoy the friends that I've made here is what I am doing. I am trying to live in the moment that I have and not worry about what the future will bring - although that is much easier now that I have a more clear picture of what that future will look like.

1 comment:

  1. relaxing on the bed with a good book - that's my idea of a vacation.

    ReplyDelete