Thursday, January 29, 2009

Unknowns

I know very little about what I am preparing to do. I know very little about how I will do it. This is nerve racking. I am feeling very stressed by these unknowns. I am feeling uncertain.

Things I do NOT know
  • My Date of Departure
  • Where I will live permanently once I arrive*
  • How I will afford to live there
  • How long I will stay
  • How much money I will need to live there
  • If my visa will be approved (or not)
  • What exactly I will be doing
  • Who I will meet**
  • How I will change as a person**
* I will book a room at a Youth Hostel for a month when I arrive, and I could stay there permanently, but I would like a "real" place.
** You never know how you will change or who you will meet - so me not knowing these things is normal and expected. I am just feeling sorry for myself and want to make this list longer, really.

Things I DO know
  • I am moving to Geneva, Switzerland to work with the World Student Christian Federation as the Communications Intern
  • With God's help, I will do this.
That's it. I don't know anything else. I suppose I know the most important things and the other things are merely details. Right now I am feeling down on myself, so I have to keep on reminding myself that the details are not important. I have to remind myself of a verse in the Bible. Matthew 6:25-34

That is why I am telling you not to worry about your life and what you are to eat, nor about your body and what you are to wear. Surely life is more than food, and the body more than clothing! 26 Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap or gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they are? 27 Can any of you, however much you worry, add one single cubit to your span of life? 28 And why worry about clothing? Think of the flowers growing in the fields; they never have to work or spin; 29 yet I assure you that not even Solomon in all his royal robes was clothed like one of these. 30 Now if that is how God clothes the wild flowers growing in the field which are there today and thrown into the furnace tomorrow, will he not much more look after you, you who have so little faith? 31 So do not worry; do not say, "What are we to eat? What are we to drink? What are we to wear?" 32 It is the gentiles who set their hearts on all these things. Your heavenly Father knows you need them all. 33 Set your hearts on his kingdom first, and on God's saving justice, and all these other things will be given you as well. 34 So do not worry about tomorrow: tomorrow will take care of itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.'


I have some thoughts on these. I will formalize them more and then maybe post them tomorrow. For now - this is what I'm thinking about.










2 comments:

  1. good thoughts. remember the coffee cup you pointed out to me the other day. by the way, are you the only intern, or are there others? there must be people already working there with the WSCF who can provide moral support and a shoulder to lean on when desired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks very similar to what you are doing - i wonder if the internship is actually the same one you got ?
    http://www.justgeneration.ca/node/138
    there are some links there that may prove useful

    ReplyDelete