Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Budget

I have been thinking about posting my budget up here. I am weird about money. Very weird. I think all of us are strange about money. It is VERY difficult to have a healthy relationship with money. Most of either obsess over it; or save it by denying ourselves luxuries (or even basic goods); or see ourselves as valued by how much money we have. I do all three. One reason I am hesitant to put my budget up here is because it makes me vulnerable. Everyone will know how much money I have. I need to enter into this adventure in Geneva with God with faith that money is not defining me. That no matter how much (or how little) money I raise a pathway will be found for me to follow God's will. So with that I am going to post a copy of my budget. Then I'll tell you how much of that I have raised.

Monthly Expenses (approximate) (Units in parentheses are USD otherwise they are Swiss francs)


Groceries $400.00 ($344.00)
Rent (Shared apartment) $650.00 ($559.00)
Lunch at work (10.00/day - 1 day/week) $50.00 ($43.00)
Eating out (2x/month) $60.00 ($51.60)
Laundry $30.00 ($25.80)
Transportation (monthly pass for adult) $70.00 ($60.20)
Telephone (Cell Phone) $30.00 ($25.80)
Internet (cyber café) and email $35.00 ($30.10)
(average of 5 CHF/hour)
Personal expenses $70.00 ($60.20)
(haircuts, contact lenses, etc.)
Entertainment $175.00 ($150.50)
Movies (15 CHF / person)$15.00
Books, CDs, Newspapers $20.00
Going out $50.00
Skiing/Travel (90 CHF, 1x/month)
$90.00
Total/Month $1,570.00 ($1,350.20)

Total/Year $18,840.00 ($16,202.40)

One Time Expenses (all in USD)
Airfare $0.00
Health Insurance $2,000.00
Computer $0.00
Visa $75.00
Total $2,075.00

Grand Total in USD $18,277.40


So that's it - that is the budget I am trying to fulfill. This is a version of the budget that the WSCF offices sent me when I was first considering applying for the job. I used today's exchange rate to calculate how much money in USD that I will need. I have paired the budget down some from what they suggested.

I was promised an airline ticket from a woman at church - hence the zero cost of my plane ticket. The good people that the WSCF office in Geneva have said there is a computer that I can use there, so I do not have to buy my own computer. This my budget.

I currently have $902.00. I might have more, but I need to check with the New York WSCF office to see if they have received any checks and I need to talk to Jeff at St. James to see how much money we collected last week. I am hoping to meet with him sometime this week.

I am now totally honest with everyone. I will hope to make one of those little charts that can show you how much I have and how much I need. I'll talk to my cousin, the computer genius, and see if he can help me do that. If so there will be a daily (or so) update of how much money I have raised.

I also want to thank one of my regulars at work, Linda. She gave me a beautiful sweater to keep me warm in Geneva. I am so touched by the gifts that people are giving me.

1 comment:

  1. will you be getting paid in geneva? also would you have time for some sort of supporting activity like teaching english part time?

    ReplyDelete