Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What I said at Church on Sunday

Good Morning. My name is Maryann Philbrook and I am an active member of six o'clock service.


I am here today to offer you an opportunity as the members of St. James to partner with me and with the World Student Christian Federation. I was recently offered an unpaid one year internship at their inter-regional office in Geneva. Founded in 1895, the WSCF is a collection of Student Christian Movements at college campuses around the world. At their General Assembly this past summer in Montreal the WSCF incorporated four new national movements from East Timor, Brazil, Mexico and Iraq. This brings their total to 105 around the world. The WSCF's mission statement is :


“The WSCF is a global community of Student Christian Movements committed to dialogue, ecumenism, social justice and peace. Our mission is to empower students in critical thinking and constructive transformation of our world by being a space for prayer and celebration, theological reflection, study and analysis of social and cultural processes and solidarity and action across boundaries of culture, gender and ethnicity. Through the work of the Holy Spirit, the WSCF is called to be a prophetic witness in church and society. This vision is nurtured by a radical hope for God's reign in history"


I am very excited to be a part of this movement.


I feel that working with the WSCF is my next step in personal, professional and spiritual growth. When I come back to St. James after my one year in Geneva I am planning to enter the discernment process to see if I am in indeed called to minister as an ordained priest. I am hopeful and prayerful that this upcoming year in Geneva will give me clarity as well as practical experience.


I am here today because the World Student Christian Federation's mission is closely aligned with the mission of St. James Church in Austin. There is not much more diversity than an organization that works on every continent except Antarctica. The work that WSCF does raises up future Christian leaders around the world who know the importance of diversity and social justice. I am hoping that through this partnership between, myself, St. James and the WSCF we can continue to expand the mission and influence of St. James Austin way beyond the boundaries of Austin, Texas and even the United States.


I am asking first and foremost for your prayers of support during my year in Geneva. I am also asking for monetary and in-kind donations. If you can, today make a check out to St. James and mark it for the “Rector's discretionary fund for Maryann”. Then Jeff will make sure that I get the money to help me get over to Geneva and support me while I am there. Please also consider making monthly contributions to support me during my year. I will be around after the service. Don't hesitate to talk to me. I have letters that I can give that explain in more depth what I am doing and why I am doing it. I will also have a sign up list if anyone wants to receive periodic emails from me. I also have a blog. Maryanningeneva.blogspot.com I update that every few days.


Thank you for everything you do. I appreciate any and all support that you can give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment