Monday, January 26, 2009

A Busy Weekend

This weekend was very busy. I did not do much (any?) fundraising. A friend of mine from high school was visiting, so I went out with him the whole weekend. That meant many late nights. On Sunday afternoon I did have an interview with a woman from the Episcopal Young Adult's office. She is collecting interviews with young Episcopal leaders. Somehow, she got my name. So we talked for about forty five minutes. It was really good to talk to her. I just sort of told her my story, who I am and how I have gotten to be this person. As I told her about my life I saw a theme emerge. This theme was the theme of reconciliation. I am drawn deeply to reconcile conflict - to help people see the other side of the argument. I really love working with people to create compromises and peace. I am glad that I had the chance to talk with her and see that about myself. It is refreshing because it makes me feel better about what I am preparing to do. I also had coffee with a friend from Church this weekend. We talked about fundraising and love and God and society. One of the things that I talked about with her was the fact that I try to live my life out of a place of love. God loves us because of who God is, not because of who we are or what we do. In society we are taught to believe that our worth is in outward things not in our being, in our soul. God and Christ teach us differently. I try to believe that and I also try to act out of that belief.

I also got an email from my Grandmother telling me that she pledged $100.00 to me! That means that I now have just over $1,000.00! (I also managed to add $112.00 of my own money this past week!)

I have been contemplating tithing. I already take aside 10% of what I earn and for my first few months at St. James I was giving them the money directly. For the past two months I have put that money into my savings toward this trip. However, I am wondering if I will instead continue to give my tithe to St. James'. I think I will. Even though I am desperately looking for money and praying I think that it will be good for me to continue to give away at least 10% of my income. Hopefully this way I can show myself that I am truly trusting in God to provide for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment