Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Better late than never.. right?

As promised, here is a copy of the email I sent out a few weeks ago:

Dearest Friends and Family,

It has been sometime since I wrote to you about what has been going on in my life. I could call this a Christmas letter, I could call this a New Year's letter - but I think I will call this letter an invitation. An invitation for you to learn more about my life, what I've done, what I'm doing and what I'm planning on doing. It's also an invitation for you to share with others what you are doing. I would love to receive an email from each of you telling me about your life.

So for starters, what I've done. I graduated from Occidental in May of 2006 with a degree in Politics. I decided to spend the year after I graduated participating in the Episcopal Urban Internship Program. I lived in Inglewood, Ca with five other people doing the same internship. I worked at Hillsides Education Center in Pasadena and worked with Special Needs Children. That year was a very difficult year, but I grew because of it. After that year I decided to take a vacation, so I moved to Cannes, France to teach English. I lived in France for 10 months working 12 hours a week. Needless to say I spent a lot of time at the beach and traveling. I managed to go to Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, Munich and England. I did go to the Cannes Film Festival. I saw one movie that was in the "Director's Fortnight". I also improved my French tremendously while I was there. Although I am now back in the States, I have been looking for a way to move back to Europe. I will get to that later. ;)

As for what I'm doing. I am now living in Austin, TX. I am currently working at an amazing coffee shop called Flipnotic's. I really love my job there. I mostly work in the mornings with the "regulars". I know their names and their drinks. It feels like a place where everyone is valued. I am living with my Aunt and Uncle here with their two youngest sons. My brother and his wife also live here. They are expecting their first baby, Sir Philbrook, in February. When I'm not working, I spend my time with my family and friends. I've also started going to St. James' Episcopal Church here. It is the traditional Episcopal, African American Church here in Austin. I'm learning a new way of worship. I'm meeting new people. I've managed to become part of the 20/30 something group, the Voltrons. This church is really beginning to feel like home to me.

I have really grown to love Austin in the past few months, which is why it is sad, yet hopeful and exciting as I plan to move on in my life. I was offered and accepted a position with the World Student Christian Federation. (WSCF). I will be the WSCF Communications Intern in Geneva Switzerland! Although I am not sure exactly what the Communications Intern does, I have an idea from the job description and through my discussions with the current staff. The Communications Intern is responsible for editing many of the annual and semi-annual publications that WSCF puts out. I will also be working with the staff at the Inter-Regional Office in Geneva as well as the staff around the world. I will be coordinating the communication between the regional offices as well. I am going to start working there in February. As I prepare to go to Geneva I am going to need help and support both in monetary and non-monetary ways. I am preparing to live abroad again and with that comes anxiety and hope and excitement and nervousness. If you would like to be a part of this journey with me, please respond to this email with your physical address. I am hoping to mail out a letter of support early next week. This letter will tell you more about the job I will be doing as well as ways that you can continue to support me. I have also started a blog that I will update periodically. www.maryanningeneva.blogspot.com Please check that for more frequent updates.

I look forward to the new phase in my life that I am beginning now. I want to stay in better touch with the people I love the most, You! Please let me know all the exciting things you have been up to, and I will do the same.


In Grace and Peace,

Maryann Philbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment