Friday, June 26, 2009

Friday and no where to go

I am planning a trip to Cannes. (I spent the academic year 2007-2008 there) I was planning on going July 10, but then due to some reasons I thought that date might not work. So I talked to my friends and we thought (for about 2 days) that we would go this weekend. I got my hopes all up and I got all excited! Now we are back to the original date. I guess I have to wait to two weeks before I can actually go!

In between I am going to do quite a lot. I am going to the UNESCO Conference on Higher Education in Paris. I am sort of excited about it. I am glad to be going to Paris. It's such a wonderful city, but I don't know enough about the conference yet to be too excited. I have started my research. It is a long process. Luckily I have about a week to finish it. I think it will be tiring. I also do not know anyone in Paris, except for my fellow intern that is going with me. I am glad we are going together. I am also working rather hard on Student World. It would be nice if I could get it all finished before I go to Paris. (By all finished, I mean the articles typed up, not done completely). That way we could work on designing it and then get it published ASAP.

I am amazed that in this age of technology we have trouble putting out one a year when for decades from the naughts to the 60's they managed to put out a quarterly journal. We are working hard in the office to fix that. I wonder if the excessive amount of communication actually makes for less information. It's like the 24 hour news cycle. They have to ALWAYS have something on the TV so usually they are not actually saying anything. So you just tune them out. When they do actually say something no one is listening. More communication going on, but less exchanging of information. Perhaps that is just me. I am rather lazy so I tend to ignore things and just read what is right in front of me.

1 comment:

  1. yep i've seen the phenomenon of too much communication resulting in less stuff getting done. in business thats sometimes called "analysis paralysis". you have a meeting, then another meeting, and another, and people spend so much time worrying about increasingly minute details that no one ever says "stop, we're done. next issue." There ought to be a "biggest bang for the buck" bell in each meeting room. It would magically ring when the information discussed reaches the "biggest bang for the buck" moment; any conversation thereafter would result in decisions that have less and less of an impact, given the amount of time spent in coming to those decisions. Once the bell rings, the meeting should adjourn and people should run with what they've got.

    ReplyDelete