Friday, June 19, 2009

Developing Friendships

Last night one of my friends here invited me to her house for dinner. It was lovely. I felt, almost for the first time here, that I just relaxed and hung out with a friend. Yesterday was my three month arrival anniversary. I arrived three months ago to the day. Since I have been doing so much work here and I have learned so much about myself and met so many new people I have forgotten that I have been here only three months. Last night I was reminded of how long it takes to build true friendship. I am beginning to feel that I am beginning to get to know the people that I have met here. There was something in me that had been pushing me to have these deep friendships instantly with everyone I met. However, that is not possible. Instead, I am learning to build slowly the friendships that are important. I am learning to take small steps instead of trying to take giant leaps.

Another of my friends arrived today to visit me. She and I went to college together, but she is currently studying in London. It was so nice to see her. It is amazing to think back to the person I was in college. To remember the person that she knew. It is also nice, though, to be around someone that I have known more than 3 months. I have known her for 5 years. We have history. We know people in common, we have a shared experience. I am very glad to see her.

It is good for me to have both of these friends. The friends that I am just coming to see how blessed my life is to have them in it and the friends that I already know how blessed I am because of them. It makes me realize just how blessed I am. God is giving me amazing experiences and amazing people to share them with. Thank You.

On another note: this weekend is Fete de la musique. I am very excited about it - I will be going to concerts all weekend! I'll write more about that on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment