Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Taking Initiative

I have not been taking much initiative. I have been sitting back hoping that people will give me money. It sounds stupid, but I almost didn't email the woman that offered me a plane ticket simply because I was afraid of "bothering" her. I'm not sure exactly what I'm afraid of - but I am definitely afraid of something. I emailed her yesterday and she emailed me back almost immediately saying that she was sorry she had not contacted me and that as soon as I knew when I was flying out I should let her know. This should not be surprising since she already offered to get me a plane ticket. Taking that initiative definitely paid off.

I also talked to one of my co-workers today. She has been super supportive of me and my mission. She has taken it upon herself to find me sources of money. I am so grateful to her and her support. I suppose I need to just get over it and start making "the ask." No one can give me money unless I ask them to.

I am going to continue working on my mission.

I also think I'm going to ask for less hours at work for next month. That way I can focus more of my time on getting ready to go Geneva.

I have been in contact with the other Intern. Her name is Charite (we're friends on facebook!) She seems like a really amazing woman and I am excited to work with her during this next year. She and Christine, my future boss, went to the Intern Retreat last week. They have an annual retreat for the international interns in Geneva. They presented the WSCF and what we do. I wish I could have been there. Originally, I was supposed to be there for this retreat - but because of visa issues I am still here in Texas. They said it went really well. I hope that I can integrate into the intern group once I arrive. Christine said there were other interns that had not yet arrived yet. Hopefully as everyone arrives we will be able to become a cohesive group.

I am so excited about the people that I will meet over there. I'm also really excited about the work that I'm going to be doing. It will probably be some of the hardest work I've ever done; but hopefully also some of the most rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment