Monday, October 18, 2010

not a traveler


I've never really considered myself a traveler. That may sound weird, considering how many places I've been. But I've always moved to a foreign place and then traveled a bit from that place. Right now I live in Xela I'm certainly not a permanent resident but I have a routine. I'm learning my way around, I'm learning which places make the best coffee, I'm learning which places are 'tranquilo', I'm learning how much a taxi should cost from one place to another, and of course I'm learning Spanish.

This weekend I took on the role of traveler. I put some essentials in my backpack and with other couchsurfers got on a chicken bus headed to San Pedro La Laguna. San Pedro is a picturesque town on Lago de Atitlan. Lago de Atitlan is a huge lake surrounded by volcanoes. (Pictures are coming soon to Facebook, I promise).

Here I'm a traveler. The only purpose of our weekend is to enjoy the lake and be 'tranquilo'. I want do all the touristy things. I want to say in hostel with other foreigners and have the travel experience. I'm even writing postcards this weekend because I feel like I'm actually traveling.

I wrote the above portion yesterday but didn't go online to write it up here. So now I'm 'home' in Xela at my internet cafe with my friends from School. I'm just hanging out doing what I do feeling like I'm ready for the routine to start again tomorrow. Tomorrow is just another Monday here in Xela with Spanish classes at 8. I'm back to my 'real' life. I prefer this form of travel to the travel that takes you so many places so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment