Friday, October 1, 2010

letter to friends and family

I just finished my first week of classes. I have crammed a lot into a small amount of time. My 'maestro' is pretty good and I am going to stay with him next week. I definitely do not know how to say much in Spanish, but I my comprehension is good - when people speak VERY slowly :)

My family is nice and now I am the only international student there. Both Canadians have left. Although they are still in Guatemala.

This week, I think the highlight has been the activities that I attended after school. On Tuesday I went to a house for women who experienced domestic violence. It is the only women's shelter in the country (and maybe central america). It was fascinating to see the women who volunteer there (one of the teachers in my school) and the women and children that live there. They live in very basic situations, with almost no amenities. They didn't have hot water until recently when a foreign student decided to raise the money for a hot water heater for their shower! On Wednesday I went on a tour (in a little tourist tram) of the city here. We were supposed to go up to Baul except we couldn't because of the rain (more about that later). It was interesting to hear all the history of this town (and for a short while capital of an independent country). Then on Thursday I participated in a salsa class. That was fun, if a bit out of my comfort zone.

I'm hanging out mostly with the other students in my school. They are from the US and Canada, and one girl from Hong Kong.

And for the rain. It has been raining here non-stop. (except for yesterday morning, when I went on the terrace to study and got a sun burn). All day, every day, nothing but rain, rain, rain. There has been more rain in September than there was in all of 2009 (I think that's what the newspaper said). There are mudslides everywhere and travel is difficult because roads are flooded out and the ones that are passable are dangerous and overcrowded. The school had planned a trip to the beach this weekend, but they cancelled it and are advising us to stay in Xela. Today, so far, it hasn't rained, but I think it's starting. So I'm going to see if I can buy an umbrella somewhere... that's my mission for the afternoon.

I'm doing well here and I am beginning to acclimatize to the culture and the noise. Walking down the street is always an adventure, you have to watch for dogs and cars and scooters and while there are sidewalks on most streets they are not much wider than a person, and often they are blocked and broken. I am also sleeping a lot. 9 hours a night, with a nap during the day. I think there are a few reasons - the altitude and stress of learning Spanish. It's good for me :)


I'm definitely enjoying it here and I am glad I am learning Spanish here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maryann! Glad to hear you're having a great time in Guatemala and enjoying learning Spanish. Have you tried any unusual foods?

    ReplyDelete