Wednesday, October 20, 2010

just over half way through

I am just over half way through my time here. I counted today and I have twelve days left in this amazing country. It seems amazing that I have so little time left and that I have already been here three full weeks. I feel like I have a pattern to my life here, but I also feel like I just arrived.

I think going out of town this past weekend helped me feel more at 'home' here in Xela. I am planning another trip for this weekend. We'll see where I end up. I enjoy traveling for weekends, it's a realistic amount of time for me.

Yesterday and today were good days in my Spanish classes. So far the highlights have been eating a home made tamale, going to the Bake Shop*, and meeting a grand neice of my teacher. It is all very interesting. I'm looking forward to learning how to make chicken tacos and playing Scrabble (en espaƱol por supuesto).

I am also going to bake for my host family. I am going to make one of my quiches for them next week. Looking forward to that too!

*The bake shop is a small bakery run my menonites here in Guatemala that has donuts and cheese and yogurt and all sorts of baked goods but it is only open on Tuesdays and Fridays!

No comments:

Post a Comment