Sunday, October 4, 2009

Lugano

Reflections on Lugano

I did not know what I had gotten myself into when I agreed to go to Lugano. I didn’t even know it was a Focolare event. I came because I like politics and I wanted to go to Lugano. No idea what the day was going to be like.

I know that this will be one of the things that I talk about when people ask “So what really great things did you do in Switzerland?” I will say, “I went to this amazing political rally for unity and then climbed the mountain in Lugano and saw the most beautiful scenery I’d ever seen in my life.”

I think that there were a lot of really good ideas that came from the different speakers. I wrote down a few quotes, (although because of my notes I am not sure who said what… oops). I think they give a good idea of what was talked about last weekend.

“Fraternite is based on the belief that first we are all part of the human family.”

“Democracy can only exist where there are differences.”

The Political Movement for Unity (MPPU) is looking for unity, but not ideological unity, rather unity in the belief that we are all doing our best and that we are all part of this human family. Therefore we should respect each other and try to find common ground rather than focusing on the issues that divide us.

I also found it interesting that the speakers brought up how the media is partly responsible to for the polarization that is killing politics today. The polarization leads to simplification which in turn leads to disrespect. If we do not respect our political opponents then we cannot govern effectively. I totally agree. From my own perspective, in the United States our government is more polarized now than they ever have been, and they are doing less work than ever before. My government cannot continue down this path of self-destruction. I pray that if this movement is not already strong in the United States that it can become stronger. (Which is something that I will work on when I head back there in December).

However, as much as I agree with the ideals put forth by the MPPU, I felt that they were just that, ideals. I do not know what this movement looks like practically. At the end of the day, even if we respect each other, we may come to different conclusions. When does MPPU decide to speak out against “injustice”? How do you do respectfully tell someone that you think they are creating a law that in unjust? How do you respectfully tell them that you think they are creating a law that hurts immigrants, especially when they think they are doing the opposite? How do you work with people when you fundamentally disagree? I felt like these questions were not addressed during that day.

However, I am very glad that I went to Lugano and that I stayed the night. I had not planned on staying the night. I was going to head back to Geneva Saturday evening, but I felt compelled to stay. God being good, provided a place for me stay, dinner for me to eat and a ride back to Geneva the next day. Even though I had not planned to stay, God had planned for me to stay.

Dinner that night was on top of the mountain in Lugano. We took a funicular train up to the top of the mountain. We got there just after the sun had sunk down but the clouds were still pink and purple and orange. Gorgeous. (Sadly, I don’t have any photos of my own, but a friend took lots!) Then we had dinner at the restaurant up there. The dinner was delicious, but more important was the conversation. We sat and talk about God. We talked about Focolare. What is it? What do you do? What does it mean? How does it work? We talked about other religions. We talked about the Eucharist. What is it? How does it work? We talked about our own experiences. We talked about our calling. We talked about God. That conversation will stay with me for a very long time.

I am grateful that I was in Lugano for this conference, even though I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I agreed to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment