Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Blogs

What's the point of blogging?

Sometimes I feel selfish that I write all these words about my life here and expect people across the globe to read them. Is my life that interesting? Yet, people do read my blog. In the past month 139 people have visited this site 24 different countries. Now, many of these "visits" are me writing and seeing if anyone has left comments (btw I LOVE it when people leave comments - hint hint...) But as I am not in, nor have I ever been to, Brazil I know that the person (or people) there visiting my site are not me! I wonder who that person (people) is (are)? I like that fact that people I do not know read my blog. I think that is the point of the Internet. There is something to creating community with people you already know - but there is also something to creating some form of community with people you do not know (and will never know?).

I also have other blogs that I read. I read blogs of people that I know like a friend from college -or people that I have never met. (I particularly like this blog) I read these because either a) I care about the person and want to know what their doing or b) I think that the things the person says are inspiring and related to my life or c) both of the above. I enjoy reading these blogs.

I am thinking about blogs quite a bit because as part of this video project I'm working on with the WCC we are going to have blogs. Many, many interactive blogs. However, we are thinking of calling them something else. The word "blog" has connotations and some people may not even know what it is! So we are thinking of calling them personal reflections. Does that change the way I relate to what people write? Does that change what I will write? I have no idea. I suppose we'll find out....

Topics I might consider in the future (or you can leave your thoughts on).
  • God is love - our job is to manifest this. I talked with a friend about this during my trip to Lugano.
  • Should France ban the Burqua? A clip I watched on French News : France might ban the burqua (head to toe Islamic covering for women). Does that improve the distance between religion/state or is that an interferance of people's right to practice their religion?
Thanks for reading.. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I've asked this question a lot over the years...and right now, I believe that blogging is a purely personal thing - so that you can write down and remind yourself later of all the things you've done / thought (and how much you've changed since you started blogging)

    Also - it helps people who don't get to see you as often keep in touch with you so you don't lose touch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have not really been thinking about it that way, suddenly I realize how little Sweden and the swedish-speaking world is. Most of the blogs I read are quite well-known in the areas that interest me (not least church) - but even most of the other serious blogs in those areas are often well-known to me. I blog partly because I often feel I want to write stuff, but also to be able to be part of the swedish discussion - something wich in our narrow world actually is a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like keeping up with people i've known over the internet. it takes time though so sometimes i'll be "remiss" and i'll go a few months without reading... depends on what else is going on. hope things are going well for you :^) im temporarily in san antonio taking care of my grandmother; will return to austin sometime tomorrow. so now you have a san antonio hit if you hadn't already had some :^)

    ReplyDelete