Friday, October 16, 2009

Home sweet home.. Geneva!

I made it back to Geneva yesterday. It is hard to come back to "normal" life after having such an intense experience, like we all did in Sibiu.

It is strange how quickly friendships can be created. Sometimes you can know someone for years and never really feel that you are friends. Other times you meet someone and you know that you are friends for life. The friendships that I made in Sibiu are like these friendships. I know that I will see some of these people again, but even if I don't I know that we are friends. We are not the kind of the friends that share our daily lives, but we are the kind of friends that share our spiritual lives. I wish that some of these people could be here with me, but we are all deeply involved in our work that we do and that is not possible. I am so grateful that I met everyone this past week.

In Sibiu, I went to the European Regional Assembly. Basically about 30 students from 18 countries gathered for a week to talk about Gender and Christ. We talked about our faith, we talked about our experiences of our genders, of our sexuality, of our ideas about sexuality, our ideas about God and we worshipped together. One of the most amazing things about this past week was the diversity that was there. Although almost all the students were from Europe (there were three Americans there) we had people of a wide variety of Christian backgrounds. Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants and Anglicans. The diversity of viewpoints was just as broad. The topic was gender, yet we did not let our divergent viewpoints allow us to get angry with one another or stereotype one another. There was room for all of us at the table because there is room for everyone at Christ's table. I am so glad that this conference was not a celebration of our "acceptance" or all sexualities at the exclusion of those who believe in a traditional point of view. What kind of "acceptance" is that? Instead we were able to be in tension with each other yet be friends. This is true friendship and a true example of the Kingdom (Queendom) of God.

One of the things about Europe that I find most challenging and amazing is the variety of languages spoken here. (I also find it incredible that people who speak different languages can understand each other - for example Polish and Slovak and Belarusian and Polish but not Slovak and Belarusian). During our worship times we sang songs in many languages. One of my favorites was a song that we sang in Swahili. Basically the song said that in the Kingdom of Heaven there will be only one language. I pray that that is true. Yet, our many languages add to our rich diversity.

I suppose I am just incredibly grateful that I was able to participate in such an amazing week. Thank you to all who organized it and thank You to God for blessing us with such tolerance and openness.

(The photos are of the beautiful scenery at the orthodox monastery and a group photo of everyone at the conference)

1 comment:

  1. I run a group at a Unitarian Universalist church in Denver. We do a monthly meeting we call "Theology on Tap" where we just talk about spirituality and modern life. I'd love to here more about your sexuality discussion. The theological basis would be really different but it sounds like it's be an interesting convo for my group. Glad to see you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete