Friday, October 30, 2009

things I've done today

So here are a few of the things I've done today.

Watched many video clips about violence against women. Including films about sexual violence in the Congo due to the ongoing wars there, institutional and sexual violence against Dalit women in India and the issue of women who are trafficked as sex slaves, either as prostitutes or strippers.

To make myself feel better about this violence in the world - I spent the afternoon reading about why apartheid in South Africa was a good thing. (To be fair this article was written by an Afrikaner in 1951) I also read an article explaining why the best solution to the Israeli/Palestinian Conflict is simply for Israel to annex all the territory that they already occupy. This way they can be the benevolent government for the all the Palestinians who live there, who of course would be given full civil rights. (of course, my foot). This has been my day.

However, I have to have hope. Hope is the reason that I am watching all these videos and reading these articles. I have hope that by sharing these stories of suffering we can learn to identify with each other. Through identifying with people we can begin to love ALL people. Love is the solution. I know it sounds cheesy, but we need to believe it and we need to act to make it a reality.

Pray for me that I will not be overwhelmed by all the violence in this world.

3 comments:

  1. Suddenly my neighbour who keeps drilling holes in the walls and plays loud music at nights seems... like a quite small problem.

    I am often thinking much about how to be more radically and passionate into changing the madness of this world... Problem is I don't want to go to prision before finishing my education. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of getting arrested. One of my friends in the US is getting arrested for Health Care Reform. Apparently she and a few hundred other people across the country are going to get arrested and stay in jail until the country makes meaningful health care reform. Please pray for her. I guess that's one radical solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? How is that?
    I will definitely pray...

    ReplyDelete