Monday, December 22, 2008

Inspiration

A friend of mine from college, Ryan Bowen, spent this weekend with me here in Austin, TX. He is an inspiration to me. Check out his website - www.bikingforobama.com. He was inspired by the hope that Obama's grassroots movement created and he is going across the country in time for the Inauguration in January. As he goes across from small towns to big cities he is talking to people - both people who voted for Barack and people who did not. He is asking them what they are hopeful about since this election. The responses are overwhelmingly positive. The support he receives every day from people he just meets on the street is amazing. I am awed by how much he is doing. His trip is inspiration to me because he is just doing this on a whim. He's made it this far and he will make it all the way. I am sure that if one man can bike from LA to DC to show the hope that we still have in America, even in this cynical generation, I can make it to Geneva to work with students. I can make a difference through what I am doing. Seeing what he is doing inspires me that we can (and do) make a difference with our actions. Last night at church the priest said, "We cannot think our way into a new way of acting; we have to act our way into a new way of thinking." I am acting my way into this job that I have accepted. I am acting my way into being who I will be. As I said in church last night I am giving God all the I am and all that I shall become. I am inspired to act by my old friend.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Maryann,
    Didn't know you blogged. Good luck on your trip to Geneva. And if you're on twitter, you can follow Ryan's mini updates too twitter.com/bikingforobama

    ReplyDelete