Monday, December 15, 2008

An inauspicious beginning

Today I had a few things on my schedule: phone interview, check, lunch with my aunt and uncle, check, last minute Christmas shopping, check, make dinner for my Aunt, Uncle, and their kids, check, work Christmas party, not-yet-checked. I did not have a life changing decision on my to do list today. Yet, that is exactly what happened today. After today my life will be different. I am now planning for a different future than I was planning for yesterday.

I am (will be?) the Communications Intern with the World Student Christian Federation. (WSCF)

In February, I will be moving across our island home to a country I have never been, to begin a job that I am sure will change me. I am going to Geneva, Switzerland. I do not know what I will be doing; I do not know with whom I will be working; I do not know where I will live; I do not know how I will be paid. I do know that this is where I need to be right now. I do know that as I take this step into the unknown there will be the support that I need. I do know that I am making a move toward the infinite. I do know that my life is taking this path and not that path.

Now that I have made this unplanned for decision I need to make many other decisions. In the coming weeks and months I will try and update this blog. I hope that this blog can be a way that I can keep in touch with old friends, perhaps make new ones and generally share what is going on in my life. As I prepare to go to Geneva I am going to need help. I will shortly share with you my exact fund raising needs. Although this job is where I need to be; it does not come with any sort of benefits package. I am responsible for raising the money necessary for me to live in Geneva for the next year. I am planning to raise between $20,000 and $30,000 USD in the next few months. If you think you can help me with this in any way (and non-monetary support such as prayer or winter clothing or an old computer or a plane ticket or anything you think I might need) please, please email me or leave a comment here. As I said earlier, I will update this in a few days with more detailed information as to how you can donate to me and what exactly I need.

Today was not the day I planned for; today was the day I received. I am glad of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment