Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Change comes with no warning...

Exactly two weeks ago I found out that my car was going to cost more to repair than I paid for it. (It was my first car too!). I was struggling with the decision to buy another car, when due to my income I didn't really have the money to afford a car. (Luckily, my friend lent me his car for two weeks)

Exactly 10 days ago I found out that my cafe where I worked was closing. I have just now come to accept the fact that it has actually closed and that I am unemployed.

Exactly 1 week ago, on what was supposed to be my last shift at work, I got food poisoning.

Needless to say I had a pretty bad week. However, I am grateful for this opportunity for change. I called one of my good friends yesterday to tell her all of this news and then I asked her if she knew what I was going to do now. I think her response shows how well she knows me. She said "You're going to go somewhere awesome and do something amazing, even though you have no money, but you'll make it work."

I am letting my lack of a job and a car give me the freedom to travel. I have said (for many years now) that I want to learn Spanish. I have tried CD's. I have tried informal classes with friends here. I have talked about learning Spanish - but I have not committed. I know that the only way to learn is to immerse myself in the language. That is just what I am going to do.

A friend of mine recommended that I go to Guatemala. I have a found a school that offers one-on-one instruction and a home stay for a very reasonable price. So, once I have my subleasing arranged for my house here I'll be booking airplane tickets and reserving a place in my school.

I am making positive change in my life. I'm actually glad that I lost my job. Although I am not looking forward to my job search when I return, I was not happy with my job before. I now have an excuse and a push to find a job that will be more fulfilling for me and will hopefully be more of a 'career' job.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds scary, exciting and brave! Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great experience.

    ReplyDelete