Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Do you believe in Miracles?

I often forget that I'm Christian. I am not very good at going to Church and praying seems difficult and pointless. I confess that I often think that I like the people who don't go to Church very often a lot more than the people that are there every Sunday. Sometimes I forget and maybe even sometimes I wish I weren't. Then I have days like the past few days and I am so grateful for what God is doing in my life. Even if I've been forgetting God, God is not forgetting me.

I often forget that I actually believe in miracles. Here's my 'miracle' story. As some of you may know I recently bought a car. Although I was very excited about buying it - I have had nothing but trouble with it. (Titling it; repairs to AC; back seat door handles and the list could go on). However, it was working enough to take me to and from work. Which is all I really need (want) out of a car. Sunday, my car began making funny noises, but was still driving relatively well. Monday night it made a very funny noise and stopped driving so well. I decided to have it towed to my mechanic to see what it would cost for him to fix it. Tuesday afternoon I got a phone call saying that the transmission was broken. I don't know much about cars but he said the repair cost would have a comma in it. Basically it would cost more than I paid for the car. It's Wednesday now and I was in a jam because I need a car to go back and forth to work. Since I begin working before the sun rises taking a bus is not really an option and I know my roommates would get tired very quickly of bringing to/from work. Luckily, Wednesday is my day off.

This morning while I was out watering my garden (which deserves a post of it's own in due time) I prayed. I prayed for a car. I really just needed a car. I can buy a car - I've actually been approved for a loan - but that does not get me a car today. Hopefully, if I think about what I'm doing carefully it will take a few weeks to buy my next car. But I still needed a car to go to work Thursday morning.

My brother took me out for lunch today and he offered to let me use his car for the next few days. He and his wife have a second car, so that seemed like a doable solution. I was very grateful for this offer!

Then I received a text message from a friend asking me to do him a favor. The favor was to keep his car for 3 weeks while he goes to Burning Man. He apparently has no where to park it. I can use it while he's gone. I have a car to use - I will in a few hours at least.

Can you fault prayers like this when you just put out into the universe what you need and it materializes? Although I still have to buy a new car I now have a way of getting around for a few weeks. I have much less pressure and the ability to be picky about what kind of car I buy.

I forget that I believe in miracles or prayer and then days like today happen. Some people would just say it was a coincidence - but I don't really believe in coincidences. I need days like today to remember that I'm not providing for myself - God is. That's what miracles are - little reminders of who is really supporting us.

1 comment: