Monday, May 31, 2010

a higher form of insurance

I really like this blog. In her most recent entry she asks when the Church stopped being 'edgy'. One of the comments on her blog was from a bishop (at least the username was bishop) who said that the Church lost her edginess when: "faith stopped being about taking on risk and became a higher form of Insurance." I think this sentiment is spot on. If we see faith as an assurance of our 'safety' in the afterlife than we are no longer compelled by the spirit to take risks, but are instead complacent paying our monthly premiums and waiting for the big payoff in the end. It also becomes imperative that everyone buy into your insurance scheme because you have found the 'ultimate' safety. This type of faith is very comforting. It is also very straightforward. If you do this, then the result is that. Faith is a stumbling block and a difficult gift from God. It is not something that we can beat into people.
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
God Smacked
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party


However in my experiences I have found that God is not that straightforward. When I was in high school I thought I would be a film or play director. (I was even accepted into a prestigious school for their directing program). I decided to move out to LA and began my University career at Occidental College. There I fell in love with Politics and God. My life has forever been changed. I was not expecting to become a Christian activist, but when we follow the spirit we are surprised and amazed and happy. We get much more out of our relationship with God than we could ever put in. Our faith is much more than final Insurance, it is a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment