Saturday, June 5, 2010

Searching for the perfect roommate

My life has recently been consumed with the search for the perfect roommate. I recently moved into a house with a very cool roommate and one empty room. The owner is here often and since we each sign individual leases, was working with us to find the right person for this empty room.

She (the owner) posted ads on Craigslist explaining who we were and what we were about. See, unlike some people who are looking for a roommate, we were looking for someone to be part of this house community. To be 'our people', so to speak. Living with someone, especially a 'stranger' can be daunting. But we were looking for someone who was going to not be a stranger, but become part of the 'family'.

In this process I talked with about 4 or 5 people. The owner went through countless emails and phone calls and meetings. My other housemate met with a few people. We never found that perfect person. The right person never found us. We offered the room to a few people, but they declined.

Finally yesterday, after a brief, 15 minute meeting, we found the right person. The right person found us. I am so happy! This search has seemed long, but yet, finding the right person is important. After all, I'm going to be living with the person and this person with me.

I'm glad to say that I'm happy about the outcome. Now I have one less worry on my mind. I'm sure there is some theological implications or extrapolations to be made from this story... but right now I'm not going there. Maybe another day?

No comments:

Post a Comment