Monday, May 31, 2010

finally back into blogging

This past week has been rather plain. For a few weeks work was very stressful and I was working more than 40 hours a week. Now work has calmed down. I'm only working 32 hours a week. I have time to cook and think about what I want to cook. I have time to read books (Agatha Christie most recently). I have time to catch up on TV. (I'm completely caught up on Doctor Who!). I have time to write (hence my last two 'creative' entries). I have time even to go out with friends. I have time to blog. I am finally feeling like having a plain week is a good thing here in Austin.

Thursday was my cousin's birthday and so to celebrate we went to see a show. We saw the play, Bug. The play deals with the seedy underworld that most of us ignore, when we can. The whole play is set in a bug-infested motel room outside of Oklahoma City. This production was done by a local theater company and was clearly not Broadway. However, I found the play itself to be mesmerizing. The script was incredible. The characters were real and seedy and lovable and hate-able and disgusting and endearing. (The play was made into a movie in 2006).

I have been thinking about sanity since I watched it. On another note about sanity (or the difference between reality and dreams) I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream again this weekend. Every year Austin Shakespeare puts on a free play in the park. I was reminded of how amazingly good Shakespeare is. His plays are just truly splendid.

No comments:

Post a Comment