Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010

January 4, 2010. Looking at that date I feel like I was looking at a date in the future. Somehow going 2009 to 2010 makes me feel like the future is upon us. The future is here. Strange. I wonder what people thought we would have by 2010. Perhaps we have achieved that, perhaps surpassed it, perhaps not yet arrived. Yet we, as a human species have arrived at 2010. We made it. Congratulations.

Christmas and New Years were good. I am back in Texas now! I have officially left Geneva - although I am keeping this blog simply because it is easier than changing. (Although I am still working for a Geneva-based organization, so perhaps that counts)

I have been busy, but yet I do not feel like I've settled in yet. I have not yet found my routine - perhaps that will not come very quickly. Perhaps that will come quicker than I anticipate. We will see.

I am going to a conference later this week about the meaning of life. I know it sounds cheesy - but if the meaning of life is in how we the life that we are given, then I think that the conference I'm going to this week will be about how to live meaningfully. I will report on the conference. ;)

I watched a good German movie tonight "What to do in case of fire". It challenged me because it was about activists 15 years after their heyday of activism. Some had remained "committed" some had "sold out". It was interesting to see their commentary on what it meant to be committed to a movement. I think about this because I wonder where I will be in 15 years. Will I be involved in the work I am doing now? Will I be doing something something different? Who knows?

2 comments:

  1. A conference on the meaning of life sounds cool. Hope you have a good time. Where in TX are you? I'll be in San Antonio at the end of March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a famous play in Berlin when I was there called Eine Linke Geschichte "A Left Story - or a sinister story" the German has both meanings - all about 1968 activists meeting up 10 years on - all somewhat more bourgeois. It's an interesting and recurring theme.

    ReplyDelete