Friday, November 6, 2009

Progress in the Church?

I just finished watching this clip from the Colbert Report. As many of you may know, the Colbert Report is one of my favorite shows. (I also really like the Daily Show!) Both of these shows mix humor and politics. Since politics is one of my favorite things to talk about or think about or write about or generally be about, I like shows that make me laugh about politics. (They are VERY American - in fact I did a comparison between The Daily Show and Les Guignols for a project in my French class this summer.. but I digress).

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Holy Water Under the Bridge - Randall Balmer
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorU.S. Speedskating



This clip made me realize that we have to be part of a dynamic changing Church. We cannot, as some in the Church try to do, hold onto things "as they were". For one, there is no idyllic moment in the past when the Church had everything figured out and it was all pie in the sky. Secondly, if we do not always re-evaluate our life in terms of the Gospel than what does it mean to be Christian? Does it mean anything? The Episcopal Priest in this clip gave a very good answer to Colbert when he asked about the issue of inclusion of Gays and Lesbians. I am glad that I can say that I am part of the same church as him. If we do not re-evaluate our actions in light of the Gospel then we will end up using the Gospel and Jesus' name to inflict pain and suffering in the world. That is when the Gospel stops being Good News and begins to be the thing that people are afraid of - the reason that people have disdain for the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment