Saturday, July 11, 2009

UNESCO and Model UN

Here is the first of four blogs I have about UNESCO.


In High School I participated in Model United Nations. This was a chance for students to pretend like we were the United Nations. We researched our countries, or in my case the International Court of Justice. We learned their opinions; we learned what the people there would have wanted. We learned the process of how the United Nations works. I really enjoyed this in high school. (I think this may have related to the fact that it was always a weekend away from home in a hotel).

Yet, somehow I feel like this meeting, even though it is the real United Nations arm UNESCO, is like a model, like a game. I remember when the American representatives in high school, a group of “popular girls” walked into the hall to the song “American Woman” by Lenny Kravitz, which was very popular at the time. They caused a scandal; they made everyone talk about them. Now I am here, at a “real” UNESCO meeting. The Americans are still being scandalous, although not as openly. I am still referring to the delegation from Greece with only their country name. “What does Greece think?” “What does Tunisia say?” The game that I played in high school was closer to reality that I realized.

We are all trying to make sure that our viewpoints are represented. Although I am not working with the country delegations. I am working with a group of student organization representatives. We come from almost every continent. Many of us speak English, many of us speak Spanish, many of us speak French. We all have different interests. We all have hidden agendas. We all can talk for hours. We are still staying up till 3 am.

It feels unreal that the suggestions we are making are “real.” In high school we would make suggestions to the “document.” We would say, let’s say America should get rid of all their nuclear weapons and ban the song American Woman forever. Now, we are just as serious. We should include a reference to non-formal education. How will we do this? Let’s talk about the issues. Let’s talk. Let’s talk. Let’s talk. People are talking without saying much.

1 comment:

  1. i think that some people dont like sitting still. they prefer to move around. sometimes they say that they move in order to get somewhere. but i think that they mostly move because they just dont like sitting still. i think this is the source of a lot of meetings.

    ReplyDelete