Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My future

I have been thinking a lot about my future. This is for a lot of reasons.. which I might go into in a future post.. but not just yet.

I have been thinking about what I want to do with my "life." I realize I have this ideal somewhere in the back of my head that I will find the right job, meet the right guy, get married and then move into the pretty house and live there for the rest of my "life." The bliss will follow. In this model of "life" figuring out what I want do is pretty important because it will be what defines me. I know deep down that this is not true, but somehow I cannot seem to shake it. (What's even more ridiculous is that I don't know anyone that has followed this plan... but still I feel the need to... ) This is ultimately a problem of faith - but that is for another post.. and perhaps someone more trained in theology than I am.

In that vein I have decided that I want to improve my French. For those of you that know that I speak French fluently this may seem like a waste of time and money to you. However, I am not comfortable with my French. I still get tongue twisted and I make the most asinine mistakes. I do not know if I need to use the future subjunctive or the future imperfect or even what those are. I cannot conjugate the most basic verbs in all the forms in the present tense. I just sort of limp my way through and speak quickly and rely on the fact the French people find an American accent "cute" in French. I am going to, if everything works out in the office, take the month of August off of work. I am going to spend three of those weeks in intensive French classes at the University of Geneva. Then, if I have enough money, a week in the UK. Then I'll go back to WSCF in September.

When I finish this class I will have a certificate saying that I actually speak French fluently. (If I pay an extra 100 francs I can also sit for the test that will allow me to study at the University of Geneva in French) I can perhaps even work in French someday. This will give me more confidence and when I am looking for a job, especially here in Europe, it will give me the confidence to apply.

That is my "plan" for the future. I suppose I don't need to have a plan.. I just need to take one step at a time...

1 comment:

  1. plans are good, especially the flexible ones. that way you have direction, while allowing your current plans to adapt to circumstances as they arrive.

    ReplyDelete