Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Triangle of life: Faith, Actions and Love


Theology is not meant to stay in the realm of the theological. It is meant to impact your life and make us live like Christ. How do we do this? I am constantly torn between my desire to see all people being the people that Christ sees them as and the suffering that is going on in the here and now. The only hope I can find in this is that we are ultimately responsible and at the same time God is ultimately responsible. We are called to be God's hands and feet and body in the world. Yet we are a body of believers, not individual believers. If it were up to me (or any one person) to make sure the world was a good place, this world would be in bad shape indeed. Luckily, it is not up to me, it is up to the Holy Spirit, acting through people everywhere.

It is this tension that calls me into more service at all times. This tension of knowing that I am not responsible for everyone's well being, but I am responsible for what I can do. I felt this tension this afternoon as I walked away from the Convention Center. I was asked by many people for money for basic necessities. Inside this massive building we are discussing things like: Which comes first our welcome into God's family through baptism or our welcome into Christ's life through communion? Or how do we faithfully respond to the diversity in our Church? Or how do we reimagine the Church for the future? These are important questions. Yet for many outside of the Convention Center the questions are much more practical: How will I pay for my daughter's new shoes if I go see the doctor today? How will we have food to eat tonight? If I leave this abusive relationship will I ever see my children again? Where will I sleep tonight? These are the questions of the people in the streets. These questions, just like the questions about theology do not have an easy answer. I believe that we need to be the people that live in this tension.

We all bear the image of Christ, who came into the world to show us that true life is possible. However, when we begin to segment our lives into the “religious” side and the “real” side we begin to lose the vision that of Christ's light for the entire world. My faith matters. My action matters. It is through faith that all things are possible, (Mark 9:23) but this faith creates action. Faith without works is dead (James 2:13). Our actions and our faith are two sides of a triangle. The third is love. Love is what gives our faith and our actions life. No matter what we do, if we do not do it in love, it is useless. (1 Corinthians 13: 1-3). It is love for God the Creator, as experienced in the resurrected Christ and in the life giving Holy Spirit that drives us into being a people of the new covenant.

We love all well by living in this tension of a God who has already created a new vision for society but is giving us the opportunity to be a full partner in creating this new society. This society does not depend on me or you individually, it depends on us as the Body of Christ to follow the Holy Spirit who guides us into the just actions so that the answers to our theological questions generate responses to the practical questions asked by people both within the Church walls and outside of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment