Monday, November 22, 2010

Is the Church still relevant?

Is the Church still relevant? That was a question raised (albeit briefly) at a conference I went to this weekend. The conference was organized by Barbara Wendland who writes this monthly newsletter. I went to a conference for Progressive Christians in Central Texas and, surprisingly, I wasn't alone. I live in the liberal bastion of Texas so I know that I'm not alone, but hearing the stories and being able to support those that live in small towns and go to conservative Churches was reassuring.

But, the question was still raised - is the Church relevant? At this conference of about 150 people I was one of 4 under 40. Most were over 60. I want to be clear that I do not believe that only people under 40 have the answers, but I do believe that intergenerational dialogue is important for the continuation of any type of organization. If in 20 years most of the people in that room are going to be dead or in nursing homes than the question has to addressed. One of the main speakers brought up the obvious point that almost everyone was 60+ and that almost everyone was white. (Did you know that there were liberal WASP's in Texas? But that is not an issue I can address because I am white). He said that we need to address this need; but the real question is how? The evangelical and fundamentalist churches are doing something right in this regard. They routinely have thousands of people in their 20's and 30's at their services. What can we learn from them? What are they doing that works? Another young person (38 - but in that crowd that IS young!) thought that there were no young people at this meeting because Faith, progressive or fundamentalist, is not relevant to the lives that young people are living. If they grow up in a mainline Church they see it as irrelevant and convert to Atheism; if they grow up in a fundamentalist Church they run away to Atheism as a reaction to the limited life they were subjected to in the name of god. Either way, most people my age end up Atheist.

Yet, I think that that answer discounts the reason that I go to Church and that most young people I know go to Church - faith and a desire for something more and something meaningful in the here and now. Another one of the speakers said that he thought that young people were drawn to Churches (or institutions) that take a stand. I think he's right. I think that the current Progressive Christian movement is so worried about opposing the Fundamentalist Christian movement that they forget to stand for something concrete. We (I am very much guilty of this) are so worried about being inclusive that we never say what we actually believe, that might offend someone. Everything is accepted. Although I do wholeheartedly believe that last sentence - everything is accepted by God - I also believe that there is a Right and a Wrong and that we have to stand up for it. We have to be able to call out what is wrong, in the name of Love. An example given at this conference was of two sons fighting. A parent would never let that continue. Out of love, for both children, that parent would stop the fight. Both children are hurt because of that conflict - the one that is physically hurt - but also the one that has caused the pain is emotionally hurt. Calling that act wrong and stopping it is not judgmental or hateful but is the only loving thing to do.

In fictitious examples it is always easy to spot the right and the wrong, but I am not sure how to do that in real life as it moves before me - but I know that I am at a place to start because the Church is still attempting to answer this question. The Church that does that is still relevant. A church that does not help to identify and call out injustice in this world is irrelevant and should be on it's deathbed because that church is not part of the people of God, although the individuals are very much God's people.

No comments:

Post a Comment