Saturday, July 24, 2010

What is it I want to do with my life?

Since I recently decided that I don't want to be a Barista forever, I now have to face the question "What are you going to do when you grow up?" I feel so far away from being 'grown-up' that I have no idea how to answer that question at all.

I have been putting it off. I suppose with prayer and consideration and openness to possibilities I will find a way forward. Perhaps I will never have that 'career' - but I'm sure I'll be doing something meaningful. I already am.

My volunteer work is what really sustains me right now. I love going out on Tuesday mornings and seeing the women that I volunteer with. Where I volunteer has a Tuesday morning, women only, program. We serve breakfast and talk to them and encourage them and then they end with a support group. It's a good program, and I'm glad I get to be a part of it. Talking with the women there gives me a different perspective. I realize how much I have and how much I take for granted. It also makes me see that we're all the same - whether we're the ones serving or the ones being served. Yet, we have an unequal balance of power. I'm not sure how to change that.

God loves us all. We all need to love each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment