Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My plans vs. God's plans

A few weeks ago I applied for the position of the World Student Christian Federation European Regional Secretary. I just found out that I did not get that position. However, the application and decision process was still difficult. (The following is a compilation of things written over the time from when I applied to interviewed until today.)

I heard about the position, but I was not sure that I should apply. After some very kind words by some very loving friends I decided that I was qualified and could and should apply. Although, even though I submitted my application I was struggling with whether or not I was ready to take the job, if it were offered to me.

A few weeks ago I even interviewed for the position. I talked, over skype, with five people about what I could offer WSCF- Europe. I talked about my vision of ecumenism and why I could do the job. I did not feel great about the interview, but I did not feel terribly about it.

This morning as I lay in bed thinking about what this means I realized that I was struggling with my 'plans' and how my life is unfolding. I have been planning to go to seminary, but that has always been at some future date. I went to France, I went to Geneva, I went and went, but seminary was this future thing. Then, I finally planned to apply this year. I would have started (hopefully) in fall 2011. Yet, I applied for this new position. If I had been offered it I would have put seminary off for at least a few years. Am I ready to stop 'going' and start Seminary?

I have to go back to the question of when/where I want to go to seminary. I suppose that the fact that they did not offer me the job makes my decision easier, yet, it also is saddening. However, for the moment, I am happy to be staying in Austin. (possibly not, but that is for another post). Austin has many opportunities for me and clearly working for WSCF-E is not in my current or God's current plans for me.

I will leave you with a quote from a Thomas Merton book I just began reading, "Seeds of Contemplation".

In all situations of life the "will of God" comes to us not merely as an external dictate of impersonal law but above all as interior invitation of personal love. Too often the conventional conception of "God's will" as a sphinx-like and arbitrary force bearing down upon us with implacable hostility, leads men to lose faith in a God they cannot find it possible to love... We must learn to realize that the love of God seeks us in every situation, and seeks our good. His inscrutable love seeks our awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment