Friday, February 19, 2010

How I met your mother

So in all my spare time, I am watching a lot of TV (online of course!) I talked about my addiction with Torchwood in an earlier post. But now I am watching How I Met Your Mother. (HIMYM) One reason was that at a conference some time ago someone told me that HIMYM was the best sitcom ever! With such a high recommendation, I figured I might as well watch it.

The show's premise is that the main character, Ted, is telling his children the entire story of how he met their mother. The show revolves around the dating adventures of Ted and the other main characters. One of the characters, Barney, played by Neil Patrick Harris is fascinating. He is a 31 year old self-proclaimed bachelor for life (I'm only beginning season 2, so perhaps he changed... but somehow I doubt it - and if he did - don't tell me!) The reason I find this character interesting is that in almost every episode his goal is to have a one night stand with a beautiful girl that he meets in a bar. He is every girls worst nightmare (well mine at least). An attractive, successful, intelligent man that seeks out meaningless sex.

The character is funny, and as I've said before I really like the show, but still I wonder about this character. I know that in California it is considered rape if the girl is drunk. I'm not sure about the laws in New York, where the show is set. However, the fact is that Barney repeatedly makes comments about making sure the girl is "drunk enough" or other such things. It makes me wonder if this character is not just a man who is having a lot of one night stands, but also a serial rapist. In our society we don't consider that sort of interaction "real" rape. I have always imagined rape as a stranger who grabbed you walking down the street and the forces himself on you in some dark alley. However, that is NOT the reality. Most rape victims are raped by someone they know. I wonder if taking our obsession with sex and quick fulfillment is not encouraging the belief that it's okay. However, it's not okay. With that here is a video from Youtube that will be used in the final week of my WCC project.




No comments:

Post a Comment