Wednesday, July 4, 2012

#GC77

I'm attending the General Convention of the Episcopal Church as a member of the Young Adult Initiative. 

I'll be posting a series of blogs about my trip. 

Here is the introduction that I posted about myself a few days ago. 


My name is Maryann Philbrook. I currently live in Austin, TX where I attend the Episcopal Mission of St. Julian's of Norwich. I am very busy here in Austin. I work full time as a Customer Service representative. Answering phone calls, technical support, that sort of thing. It pays the bills. I also work part time (very part time) as the Children's Minister at my Church. I was running the Children's Chapel program during the past school year. I also work part time (also very part time) as an attendant for a friend of mine who has a disability. When I'm not doing one of these three paid jobs, I organize with Occupy Austin, which is where I see my faith most vibrantly come alive. One of my passions is travel. I have lived and travelled in over 15 countries on 4 different continents.

I have been an Episcopalian all my life and I'm drawn to the practical side of my faith. I believe that when Jesus said he came to preach Good News to the poor, he meant it. Literally. In trying to explore this understanding of my faith and my calling, I have worked with Ecumenical groups, like the World Council of Churches and the World Student Christian Federation. I have also worked with Episcopal groups like the Episcopal Service Corps. This year, I am excited to be joining the Episcopal Peace Fellowship as part of their Young Adult Initiative at General Convention. I understand that the issues facing our country, and the world, are bigger than our individual lives. Each individual is affected by the systemic and structural organization of our government and our global society. I am coming to General Convention because I want to be a part of the work the EPF is doing in moving the Church towards its prophetic role.

I have found numerous resolutions that I am looking forward to learning more about and, hopefully, influencing the outcome of during General Convention. The one I am most passionate about is Resolution A040, “Establish the Church as the Moral Voice on Health Care.”

When I finished my year as Intern with the Episcopal Service Corps I was ineligible to be insured through my parents insurance so I bought a Major Medical Insurance policy. While living with my parents, I was stung by a bug in the middle of the night. We went to local ER where they gave me a shot of cortizone and sent me home. This treatment cost over $1,000. My deductible was $5,000, so the insurance I was buying did not cover a dime. My parents are still paying off this trip to the ER. We need healthcare reform that offers everyone equal access to health care, not just a mandate to have insurance.

In 1991 General Convention recognized that we need change: Resolved, the House of Deputies concurring, That the 70th General Convention decries the inequitable health care delivery system of the United States of America and calls upon the President, the Congress, Governors and other leaders to devise a system of universal access for the people of our country. (A009)

Currently there is a resolution on the table to (A040) to establish the Episcopal Church as the moral voice on health care. This resolution would resolve:

Every member of The Episcopal Church make a moral commitment to health care for all of citizens and legal residents by actively supporting the full implementation and funding of the health care reform law in the United States.

This is not a “Moral” stance. This law still leaves 26 million people uninsured. This law does not ensure all Americans have equal access to health care. Requiring that the government fund a law it has already passed is asking the government to do what it has promised to do. A moral stance does more than ask the bare minimum of our government.

The recent ruling by the Supreme Court seriously undermines the enforceability of the ACA. Without the ability ensure that states expand medicaid coverage many people will not be able to afford the new, mandated, insurance. The personal mandate was ruled to be constitutional, but without the expansion of medicaid millions of people who cannot afford insurance will still be without insurance and will owe the government money because of this 'penalty'. Endorsing this piece of legislation, as a moral stance, is immoral because this legislation, although it improves the health care situation in our country, is a far cry from the reforms that are needed to actually enure that everyone in the US receives the health care they need when they need it.

In 2009 the General Convention resolved that: The Episcopal Church urge passage of federal legislation establishing a “single payer” universal health care program which would provide health care coverage for all of the people of the United States (2009 D 048). Stating that this Affordable Care Act is a moral bill is going back on our commitment to supporting a truly universal health care system.

The Episcopal Church does need to become the moral voice on health care. However, this will take prophetic witness to what is possible, not a simple endorsement of a compromised bill that does little address the real causes of problems in our health care system.

There are many more resolutions that we will be considering during Convention. I hope to be able to address resolution A012, “Advocate for a Just Global Economy for International Trade.” Having travelled abroad and seen the disparity among nations I know, first hand, that we need to make ensure that our economic policies are just. I also hope to speak to resolution A017, “Monitor the use and Ethics of Drone Warfare.” As we become a society with instant communication we also become a society with the ability to cause instant destruction. The Church needs to make a statement on the morality of the use of the drone warfare in which the US is currently engaged.

I am hoping and praying that General Convention will be a time of growth and learning and fruitful work for all who attend. I am looking forward to being a part of that with the Episcopal Peace Fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment